Non stick frying pans are easy to clean and allows you to cook with less butter or oil. It’s no wonder these pans have become more and more popular over the years. No one wants to go through the frustration of food sticking to the bottom of their pan. However, you should be aware that there are several reasons why you should not go for cheap when it comes to non stick pans. One of them is the potential danger of coatings breaking down due to overheating or scratching which can lead to toxic emission. Stick with the better brands and go for safe with one of the following models.
Le Creuset 3-Ply Stainless Steel Nonstick Omelette Pan
This non stick frying pan features a commercial grade triple-layer construction. An aluminum core is sandwiched between two layers of premium-quality stainless steel which provide even heat distribution and eliminates scorching and hot spots. The magnetized stainless steel exterior ensures compatibility with all cooktops, including induction.
Product details: User Rating : (4.7 / 5)
- 12-1/2-inch stainless-steel non stick pan with aluminum core for even heating
- Durable nonstick cooking surface
- Pouring lip on entire rim prevents drips and spills
- Dishwasher-safe, suitable for induction stovetops, oven-safe to 400 degrees F
- Lifetime Guarantee
Last seen price : $159.95 Check current price at amazon
Also available in 9.5 inch : $109.95 and 8 inch : $84.95
Zwilling JA Henckels Twin Spirit Thermolon Fry Pan
Cook healthy meals without using butter or oil with this patented thermolon ceramic non stick frying pan. Ideal high-heat combination to saute meats or vegetables. The thermolon ceramic nonstick coating does not contain toxic substances, is scratch- and abrasion-resistant and comes with a lifetime manufacturers warranty.
- 12 inch Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin Spirit Thermolon Fry Pan
- Oven safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Eco-friendly Thermolon ceramic nonstick surface is PTFE- and PFOA-free
- Thermolon ceramic non-stick coating does not contain toxic substances
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty
Last seen price : $89.99 Check current price at amazon
Also available in 10 inch : $66.99 and 8 inch : $39.95
Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Nonstick Stainless Steel Skillet
Cuisinart’s commitment to quality and innovation continues with this MultiClad Pro Stainless non stick skillet. Designed to provide professional gourmet cooking results, this cookware offers perfect heat and perfect results, every time.
- 12-inch skillet with quantanium nonstick interior provides healthier cooking options
- Aluminum core heats and cools quickly for precise temperature control
- Heat Surround technology provides even heat distribution along the bottom and up the side walls of the cookware
- Rims are tapered for drip-free pouring
- Triple-Ply construction insures maximum heat retention and even heat distribution
Last seen price : $68.28 Check current price at amazon
Also available in 10 inch : $54.99 and 8 inch : $39.99
A word about non stick cookware
Non stick cookware is much easier in use than regular cookware. It is easier to clean and you can cook your food with less or depending on the model and coating even without the use of any butter or oil. Plus the best part is, the food won’t stick to your pan, which can be really annoying and devastating for the food you’re preparing. Despite these obvious advantages you do have to be carefull not to overheat certain models as it can potentially break the coating down and release toxic particles and gases. Most people are unaware of this fact.
The better brands use better materials
The better brands and models are better protected against this problem by using thicker materials that can withstand heat and scratching way better than a cheaper, thinner model. You still have to be cautious not to overheat a frying pan by putting it on the stove, empty… Teflon , chemical name : polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE). is the chemical what keeps food from sticking to nonstick cookware and will break down at temperatures above 500F. It will then release several toxic gasses which can cause polymer-fume fever, a temporary flu-like condition marked by chills, headache, and fever. (The fumes won’t kill you, but they can kill pet birds, whose respiratory systems are more fragile. Now, before you decide to dump all your non stick coated cookware into the trashcan, studies have shown that it is very un-likely that a person would inhale enough of these toxic gasses to actually get sick. However, what no one has yet researched is whether overheating these pans regularly for a prolonged period might do in terms of long-term effects.
Safe cooking tips
- Don’t pre-heat an empty pan on the stove. ( Heating an average empty pan will reach 500 degrees in less than 5 minutes)
- Never cook on high heat. (This will also prolong the life of your non stick coating)
- Choose a heavier nonstick pan. (Thinner, lightweight pans heat up way faster. Invest a few dollars more and buy solid cookware.)
- Make sure your kitchen is well ventilated. (Turn on your exhaust fan or open a window)